Just because you use a laptop doesn’t mean office ergonomics aren’t a consideration. These laptop stands will help position your laptop at a proper viewing angle with good ventilation and ergonomics.
Sure, you could use some books under your laptop to do the same thing, but it’s not an ideal long-term solution. On one hand, it looks messy. On the other hand, what if you need to read one of those books at some point? A much more practical solution is to purchase a specially designed stand to elevate your laptop.
Here’s our pick of the bunch with models that adjust easily, raise your entire laptop to eye level, or offer other comforts. There is sure to be something that meets your laptop support needs.
Update, 05/10/22: Verified content and updated links. New Budget and Premium selections were swapped in to replace those that were no longer available.
What to look for in a laptop stand
Not all laptop stands are created equal. While they all aim to do the same thing, each of their manufacturers took a different route to get there. Here’s all you need to consider when shopping for your new laptop stand:
- Adjustable design: Do you need to adjust the height or angle of your laptop regularly, or is one position all it takes? Does your laptop stand give you just one or two different options there, or does it give you a wide range to choose from? We think more options are better here, in most cases, but consider your needs before making a decision.
- Compatibility: It seems like a no-brainer, but make sure the stand can support your laptop, especially if you have a heavy laptop (either 17-inch or just really old and heavy). Make sure the bracket is not blocking any ports or fans.
- Ventilation: It’s easy for laptops to get hot when they’re running all day (especially if you’re running processor-intensive tasks like gaming, streaming, or video editing). We recommend choosing a mount with some form of heat management features, whether it’s a mesh design or slots for better airflow.
- Material: Will you want to notice what the support is made of? A single piece of aluminum that’s extra durable and easy to disperse heat? Or other materials like plastic, rubber, or wood that look nice or are cheap, but may not hold up as well over time?
- Portability: Do you want a stand that you can take with you while you work in a coffee shop or coworking space? If so, you’ll probably want to choose a stand that’s small and (somewhat) foldable. If you just keep the stand on your desk, it doesn’t matter which one you choose, in this regard.
- Cost: You would think that this would not be an expensive accessory, but you would be wrong. While there are definitely some budget picks, around $20, there are even more premium picks that will set you back over $50, if not closer to a Benjamin. How much you’ll ultimately pay depends on your budget and the materials and features you want.
Best Off-Road: Rain Design iLevel 2
Although clearly designed with the Macbook color scheme in mind, the Rain Design iLevel 2 is good for anyone who needs a sturdy laptop stand. The device adjusts easily via its front slider, raising the screen to eye level so you don’t have to strain your neck looking down.
Rubber pads are conveniently placed to protect your desk and laptop, with the aluminum body acting as a heat sink for your laptop (as well as allowing plenty of airflow).
The design of the stand favors the use of an external mouse and keyboard (not only is the angle a bit harsh for typing on the stand, but it’s also a bit bouncy). However, as a permanent fixture in your office setup alongside a mouse and keyboard, it’s a great option.
Rain Design iLevel2
Want a solid aluminum stand that looks just like your MacBook? This is the support for you!
Best Portable Option: Roost V3 Laptop Stand
The biggest strength of the Roost V3 Laptop Stand is its portability. It’s lightweight, weighing only about six ounces, with a simple frame that’s completely collapsible and easy to store for travel. Despite having such a lightweight design, it fits almost all laptop models, making it doubly useful if you use different devices regularly.
The height of the stand is adjustable between 6 and 12 inches, so you should be able to get it into a position that works for you. The rubber inserts keep everything safe and secure on your desk and won’t scratch anything in your backpack. The Roost laptop stand is a bit pricey, but if you’re on the go often, it’s a perfect way to take your ergonomic setup with you on the go.
best portable choice
Roost V3 Laptop Stand
You can take this simple folding stand to a coffee shop, library, or classroom, as well as your home office.
Best for Ruggedness: Rain Design mStand
If you loved the look of the Rain Design iLevel 2 but want something a little sturdier (in the sense that you can write directly on it without it wobbling), the Rain Design mStand is a good option.
Made from a single solid piece of aluminum, it provides a stable base even when typing. There’s a little less bounce than its more expensive sibling, but that’s due to loss of adjustability. The keyboard angle is fixed, and unlike other models in our roundup, you can’t raise or lower it.
In addition to the sturdy anti-slip design, there is also a cable outlet to keep your desk tidy, ensuring this will be a favorite on your desk for a long time. Plus, it comes in four great colors, allowing it to blend in with the rest of your setup.
Best for robustness
Rain Design mStand
Do you want a stylish stand with a totally resistant design? This is your guy, er, support.
Best Budget Pick: SimpleHouseware Mesh Vented Stand
Need to stick to a budget? You won’t be disappointed with SimpleHouseware’s Mesh Vented Stand. It looks smart, it’s far from elegant (and it looks like a file organizer someone stepped on), but it gets the job done admirably. Thanks to the mesh design, there is plenty of airflow around your laptop.
In addition to good ventilation, the design offers adjustable height (using a simple notch-and-pin design similar to many lawn chair backs) allowing 11 different positions between 15 and 50 degrees of elevation. You can even use it to hold your tablet, textbook, or sheet music.
It’s a bit rudimentary compared to others, but at a price substantially lower than most, it’s ideal for bargain hunters or anyone who wants to experiment with upgrading their laptop before committing to a premium model.
Best budget pick
Best Premium Choice: obVus Solutions Laptop Tower Stand
Speaking of premium models, if money’s no object, consider the Tiny Tower laptop stand. It has a super sleek look, essentially putting your laptop in its own tower. That obviously means this will only work if you plan on using an external keyboard and mouse, but it’s very handy for those times.
It offers an impressive adjustable height range, from 2 to 21 inches, all adjusted with the push of a button, as well as solid cable management. Despite so many options, it folds up so you can easily transport it. It’s our top premium pick thanks to its combination of great design, portability, adjustability, and premium materials.
The best premium option
Best Ultraportable Stand: Steklo X-Stand
Does every day mean a different coffee shop to treat as your office? Yes, we have been there. If your work style is clearly nomadic, you don’t have to miss out on a comfortable environment. The Steklo X-Stand is a highly portable yet slim laptop stand that’s perfect for taking with you.
Made from aluminium, the stand’s metallic silver anodized and sandblasted finish means it’s subtle and ideal for Apple owners in particular. It’s lightweight and foldable, weighing just under six ounces and measuring about six inches when folded, so you can easily throw it in your bag.
The height is set at just under three inches, which is shorter than most, but still good to give you a much-needed boost. It’s perfect for those typing in coffee shops where you still want to keep your posture and ergonomics in mind.
The best ultraportable stand
Steklo X Stand
Need a holder that takes up less room in your bag than your water bottle? Go with this one!