From Woody Guthrie, and the bluesmen of the Delta, to the ubiquitous Ed Sheeran, the acoustic guitar has dazzled locals and strangers for more than a century. With a bright and vintage sound, but timeless, it stands as a versatile instrument. Although mastering it is not available to everyone, touching it is not so complicated, hence its popularity and that you are reading this.
To help you find the best acoustic guitar of 2020, we’ll take a full look at this fascinating instrument. Prepare to start a journey of no return, since music, like poetry, is not a vocation, but a verdict. When you know which model to buy, you will be closer to starting to reap the rewards of becoming an inexhaustible source of sighs.
The most important
- If you are going to play rhythms you will need a jumbo , dreadnought or nex acoustic guitar . If you are the solos instead, make sure you invest in an option that has fourteen frets freed or cutaway finish . Think about it very well, since the sound is completely different.
- In case you are going to buy your first acoustic guitar and you are starting to learn, don’t invest too much. The path to mastering the instrument is fascinating, but also arduous. You don’t want to spend large amounts of money on something you may end up abandoning.
- If you want to taste the honeys of glory, and the idea of playing in public with your new acquisition is non-negotiable, you’d better go for an electro-acoustic guitar. It is true that acoustic guitars in use can be amplified with an additional microphone, but this is very cumbersome for both you and the sound technicians.
The best acoustic guitars on the market: our favorites
Antonio Machado said that what is lost is sung. For this, an acoustic guitar is ideal. But also for ethyl celebrations of exaltation of friendship. However, buying an instrument with as many variables as it has is difficult. Therefore, in this guide to Smart Wallet we offer you a list of the best-selling acoustic guitars today.
- The best-selling beginner acoustic guitar
- The most popular electro acoustic guitar
- The best-selling dreadnought acoustic guitar
- The best value for money acoustic guitar
The best-selling beginner acoustic guitar
First of all, we are faced with one of the best-selling and most popular products among those who are starting out in the world of acoustic guitars.
In addition to having a very affordable price, it is small and light, making it easier for beginners to handle. It is made of wood and its strings are metal. Its dimensions are 38.6 “x 15.4” x 2.4 “.
The most popular electro acoustic guitar
We continue this list with another very popular model. In this case, it should be noted that this article can be purchased in two different versions: both for those who play with their right hand and for those who play with the left.
It is also a passive electroacoustic guitar, so you can connect it to an amplifier if you want to play for a wider audience. It is also available in six attractive colors, is light and easy to handle.
The best selling dreadnought
This versatile Fender brand acoustic guitar belongs to the type known as dreadnought . Both its body and the sound it offers are powerful, while it has an accessible and easy-to-handle neck.
It comes with all the necessary accessories to start playing as soon as you receive it. The package includes a DVD with instructions and practical tips so you can learn how to take the first steps with your new instrument. It is ideal for beginners.
The best value for money acoustic guitar
Gibson’s little sister Epiphone offers high-quality acoustic guitars at a more moderate price. The Epiphone EJ-200SCE acoustic guitar is a clear example of this.
With an attractive design based on the historic Jumbo-200, it stands out, above all, for its ease of playing it. Being an electroacoustic version, you can also amplify its sound with great ease.
Buying Guide: What You Should Know About Acoustic Guitars
Richard Thompson, John Martyn, Paul Simon, Michael Hedges or Elliott Smith. The list of musicians who have helped the acoustic guitar rise to the altars is vast. If you are here it is because, in some way or another, you also dream of thickening it. Confess it. Even if it’s in your neighborhood. But before proving fame, you need to learn more about acoustic guitars.
difference between an acoustic guitar and a classical guitar?
For an experienced musician, this question can be laughable. However, for a beginner, it is an essential pillar. Both instruments are often referred to simply as ‘guitar’, unlike electric guitar, which is rarely derived from its epithet. Therefore, it is always convenient to clarify their differences so that there are no unwanted confusions:
|Acoustic guitar||Classic guitar|
|Ropes||Usually uses metal strings.||Only use nylon strings.|
|Musical style||Its sound is better adapted to styles such as pop, rock, blues , country and folk .||More focused on the interpretation of classical pieces, traditional folklore or signature music.|
|Sound||They produce a bright, deep and strong sound.||They generate a sweet, light and dry sound.|
|String tension||Its strings are characterized by greater tension, so their difficulty in pressing them is greater.||The strings have less tension, making them easier to press.|
|Mast||The neck or fingerboard is narrower, so the strings are closer to each other.||The neck or fingerboard is wider, so the strings are further apart from each other.|
|Treble and Bass||The treble is more pronounced.||The bass sounds louder.|
Within these differences, two aspects or curiosities should be noted:
- Acoustic guitars can be used with nylon strings in certain cases. This gives them a hybrid sound between classical guitars and acoustic guitars.
- Within classical guitars there are, broadly speaking, two types: common classical guitars and flamenco guitars. The latter have variations in design.
What kind of acoustic guitars are there?
The world of the best cheap or high-end acoustic guitars is vast. If we wanted, we could make a single article dedicated to it. But since we do not want you to be here until the sun goes down, and we know you want to start playing, we are going to make a brief sketch of each of the possibilities that you can find in the current market:
- Folk: The acoustic guitars par excellence. Small and bright sound despite having less resonance. They adapt very well to people with small hands. On the other hand, they are usually very light and easy to play. Martin is one of the most recognized brands in relation to this type of acoustic guitar (also with the following).
- Parlor : These acoustic guitars are very similar to classical guitars, but somewhat narrower. Similar to folk, they stand out for being a very comfortable option to play, as well as for offering a sweet sound where the treble monopolizes almost all the leading role. It is the perfect option to play blues or arpeggiated themes.
- Concert and grand concert : These acoustic guitars have very sharp curves as well as a deep body. They are usually small, so they adapt very well to beginners and are perfect for many children. On the other hand, their bright sound makes them the ideal choice for fingerpicking songs.
- Auditorium : Acoustic guitars of this type stand out for their larger size. Its main feature is the search for a powerful sound, but where the most important thing is the balance between the different tones. They are widely used in styles of American music such as country , blues, and folk.
- Dreadnought : Invented by the Martin brand, they stand out for their immense versatility. They are acoustic guitars with a forceful sound. Throughout history they have been mainly used to play bluegrass or by rhythmic guitarists. The presence of the bass is very marked. On the other hand, his body is forceful.
- Jumbo : This type of acoustic guitar emerged as a response toMartin’s dreadnought . They were created by Gibson and they are large acoustic guitars with a powerful sound. Its soundboard focuses on projecting as much bass and mids as it can. It is a great option for playing with a plectrum.
- Nex : To close this list, we talked about nex acoustic guitars. Just as Gibson invested in jumbo , and Martin in dreadnought , the Japanese brand Takamine did the same with nex acoustic guitars. They are similar to jumbo acoustic guitars, but smaller. This makes them very easy to play acoustic guitars as well as versatile. They are typical of pop and rock ‘n’ roll .
What is the cutaway of the best acoustic guitars?
Another question that may be absurd for experts, but not for newbies. Cutaway guitars are characterized by having a hole in the soundboard, exactly at the bottom of the neck. With this type of guitar it is easier to play the high frets. Therefore, they are options for guitarists who like treble and solos.
What type of acoustic guitar is an electro acoustic guitar?
Electroacoustic guitars are not exactly a type of acoustic guitar, but are acoustic guitars that offer the possibility of amplification. It is true that you can do the same with a microphone, just as it was done in the past. However, electro-acoustic guitars allow for easier, wired amplification, like that of electric guitars.
There are two types of electroacoustic: active and passive. The active ones require a battery, but they have equalizers and their configuration is much easier. On the contrary, the passive ones gain in lightness, since they do not incorporate the hulk of the active ones. However, they are more difficult to equalize, depend on the sound table and tend to offer a more metallic sound.
Did you know that some guitarists apply rosehip oil to their nails with the intention of hardening them in order to better arpeggiate?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying an acoustic guitar?
If you have come this far it is because you are seriously wondering whether or not to buy an acoustic guitar. Whether you are aiming to be the next Antonio Vega, Joni Mitchell or Cat Stevens, or just looking for something to start with, you have the best cheap acoustic guitars, as well as the mid / high-end ones. But why are they a good investment?Advantage
- They are the best option to develop the technique.
- They don’t require as many extras as electric guitars.
- They are available at really cheap prices.
- They allow you to play both electric and classical guitar themes.
- Its sound is bright, powerful and deep.
- Whichever you choose, they stand out for their versatility for interpretation.
- They are much easier to amplify than electric ones.
- They allow you to play solo or with a band without problems.
- The strings may be a bit tough at first.
- They demand more care than electric ones.
You attend Mad Cool and you see them there: Quique González, Eddie Vedder, Mark Oliver Everett, among many others, with their acoustic guitars at the ready and exciting thousands of people. You want to be like them. We don’t blame you. But for this, you must first buy one of the best acoustic guitars on the market. If you base yourself on these criteria, you will have it much easier!
- Acoustic or electroacoustic
If it’s going to be your first acoustic guitar, don’t over invest. You have options that, for less than $ 100, give you good sound. Learning to play an instrument is a thorny path that requires a lot of dedication. Do not spend thousands of dollars if you are not sure that after six months you will continue with the same desire.
On the other hand, depending on your level you can also choose a different width (fingerboard) and length (shot). And not only because of your level, but also because of your anatomy. If, in addition to being started, your hands are small, a more manageable guitar suits you. If, on the other hand, you have long fingers and a lot of experience, the fingerboard and the fingerboard can have a larger size.
Although an acoustic guitar adapts seamlessly to almost any style, you better buy one that enhances the sound of the genre you intend to play. For example, if you like playing arpeggiated songs, it is not a good idea to buy a jumbo acoustic guitar . If you want to play solo, you need one with a cutaway or with at least fourteen frets freed and not twelve:
|If you want …||You should use…|
|Be a rhythm guitarist||A Gibson jumbo or its little Epiphone sisters.|
|Arpeggiating as Ralph McTell||A folk, concert , grand concert or dreadnought acoustic guitar .|
|Playing blues like Rory Gallagher||An auditorum acoustic guitar .|
|Madden the Masses as Ed Sheeran||A nex acoustic guitar .|
|Do captivating solos||A cutaway guitar or one with the largest possible number of frets released.|
If you’re just starting out, it’s best to buy a laminated wood acoustic guitar. These do not always offer an inferior sound, but they do share a very beneficial characteristic for those who are starting out: their low price. On the other hand, solid wood acoustic guitars stand out for a sharper and more durable sound, but of course, they tend to be much more expensive.Kurt VonnegutAmerican Writer”If I ever die, God forgive me, let this be my epitaph. The only proof I need to prove the existence of God was music. “
Acoustic or electroacoustic
If you are a luck of Jackson C. Frank, embarrassed by the shame, an acoustic guitar to the use will suffice you. However, if you are looking to give concerts with the public, especially if it is with a band, you will need an electro-acoustic guitar. The active ones need a battery and are more versatile; the passive ones, on the contrary, no, but they can present difficulties in certain teams.
It might not be your thing to keep up with the rhythm or the intimate themes so typical of Nick Drake. In that case, if what you want is to play to adorn the subjects of others and put the icing on the cake with unforgettable solos, the best option is to opt for an acoustic guitar with fourteen frets freed and, if possible, in cutaway format ( with hole in the harmonic box).
The acoustic guitar has put its grain of sand to unforgettable themes from this and the last century. It has also been central to many of the folk songs of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its bright, deep and forceful sound seems to have settled in the collective memory. Therefore, it is normal that you also want to participate in it.
But to buy one of the best cheap or high-end acoustic guitars you must know well the types that exist. In addition, when it comes to checking out, it is convenient to be sure that you are going to buy the model that best suits you. This is, at your level, the style you want to play or if you are going to focus on keeping the rhythm or doing impossible solos.
Finally, the bonus track is going to be put by you. And, if you liked this article from Smart Wallet, do not hesitate to leave a comment or share it on your social networks!
see more accessories