Our phones have become an inseparable part of our daily lives.
Losing yours can cause a lot of frustration and possibly lead to a serious invasion of privacy. Fortunately, as long as you keep Apple’s Find My iPhone turned on, you can track it.
You need to know how to disable Find My iPhone if:
- You need to reset the device to factory settings
- plan to sell it
- If you are taking your phone in for repair or service.
It’s super easy to do:
How to turn off Find My iPhone?
There are two main ways to disable Find My iPhone:
- directly inside the settings
- remotely wipe data on your device
Note: If you completely sign out of iCloud on your device, Find My iPhone will also be turned off. but you should only if you get rid of that phone forever. Without your Apple ID, anyone can just sign in with their details and there would be no way to prove that it really is yours.
Inside phone settings
Let’s start with the simplest option:
- Go to the Settings app and go to your iCloud page. This is the large card at the top with your name on it.
- Press Find My iPhone, then simply press the first switch to turn it off.
- As a security measure, you must enter your Apple ID password for the change to take effect
How to disable Find My iPhone remotely?
Let’s say you’ve sent in the old device you sold online, and you realize you completely forgot to turn off Find My iPhone.
Okay, do not worry.
you can just sign in to the iCloud website and do it by deleting your data remotely.
How to turn off Find My iPhone with iCloud:
- Go to iCloud.com and click Find My. You will need to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap All Devices above the map and select your phone from the dropdown menu.
- After selecting it, tap Erase iPhone.
- Click Cancel again in the pop-up window to confirm that you want to do so. You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID.
- Tap Delete account.
Note: Apple is a bit inconsistent with the actual name of the app in iCloud, it could be Find My or Find My iPhone/iPad etc. Either way, the app is the same.
Now your new owner can set up your iPhone for free.
How Erase iPhone’s Find my mobile app:
The process is similar to the previous one. However, you will need another device with the Find My app.
- Go to the Find Mine app. It will be in your Utilities or Other folder, or you can just open the search bar and type it.
- Select your iPhone from the list.
- At the bottom of the menu, tap Erase this device.
- Be sure to read the warning message. When you press Continue, you will be prompted to enter your Apple ID.
You should also be aware of these two methods. it will erase all the data on your iPhone. So use them wisely.
As you learned, disabling Find My iPhone is very easy.
You also have a number of options to do this, both on the phone and remotely.
The difficulties that this tool will save you if your phone is lost or stolen are too many to ignore.
It’s definitely better to keep it on.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
How do I turn off Find My iPhone from another device?
You can turn off Find My iPhone from any device using the Find My app or the iCloud website:
- Go to the Find My app on an Apple device or iCloud.com.
- Select your iPhone from the list of devices.
- Tap Erase iPhone or Erase Device.
- Enter your Apple ID to confirm.
This process will erase all the data on your phone and you will no longer be able to track it.
How do I turn off Find My?
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Click on your name at the top of the page.
- Press Find Mine and turn off the first switch.
- Enter your Apple ID to confirm.
Another option is to sign out of iCloud entirely. Doing so, however, leaves your phone very vulnerable.
Why can’t I turn off Find My iPhone?
The only reason that will prevent you from turning off Find My iPhone is if you have forgotten your Apple ID.