These days everyone is strapped for cash. Fortunately, Craigslist Tampa makes it easy for people to offload items
they no longer want or need in exchange for additional income. And it’s free!
Instructions for How To Successfully Sell Items On Tampa Craigslist
1 In order to sell items on Craigslist, you must have an account. It is completely free and easy to set up.
Just go to www.craigslist.org and click on the “Post an Ad” link, which is located at the top on the left side of the main page.
On the next page look at the top right and you will see two links: “Account Request” “sign in to your account”
and follow the instructions from there (you will be required to create a username and password).
Creating a Craigslist account
2 After creating a Craigslist account, you can start posting. However, it is best to create a draft of your post. The best ads are well-written ones so just don’t jump on Craigslist and start posting far. Your ad should be brief and to the point. It should also be free of any typos or grammatical errors. Buyers are attracted to well-written posts in order to avoid looking minors by typing “text-speak” and avoiding slang.
Your Craigslist post should explain exactly what you are selling
3 Your Craigslist post should explain exactly what you are selling. Add details if needed, such as color, size/dimensions, condition (new? Like new? Used?). The best Craigslist posts are the ones that don’t leave the buyer guessing.
Take photos for Craigslist Tampa
4 Buyers on Craigslist are quickly drawn to posts that have pictures associated with them. It looks like the notation “img” in orange font next to your title. Use a good quality digital camera to take pictures of the items you plan to sell. Make sure the lighting is good and the images appear crisp and clear.
You can attach your images to your post and be sure to resize them so that they are not large files, but are not tiny either.
Price your item on Craigslist Tampa
5 Think about pricing. The “For Sale” section of Craigslist is where items are bought and sold.
Browse this section and search for the category where your items match
(books, collectibles, housewares, clothing and accessories, etc.) and compare the prices other sellers have placed on similar items, if applicable.
If you really need the money, put your price a little lower than other sellers. It never hurts to add “or best deal” to your list so buyers know you’re ready to negotiate.
6 Because there are different categories for items sold on Craigslist, be sure to post your articles in the most appropriate ones.
Don’t pick a random category and have a huge list of items for sale.
You are only allowed 4 image uploads per post and breaking the posting rules could prevent you
from posting on Craigslist in the future. So be sure to read the rules and regulations if you are a beginner.
Contact with buyer
7 Because Craigslist Tampa is an anonymous site, security comes first. Never publish your address (residential or commercial). Some people list their phone numbers, but this is usually not a good idea since anyone can see your number. Instead, rely on the anonymous email address feature that Craigslist offers (it will redirect emails about your post directly to your primary email address).
When interested buyers contact you by email,
you can go over to let them know details such as pick up arrangements
and at that time you can give them your phone number
(or get them up) if they are indeed going to buy your items.
Meet your buyer
8 For security reasons, it is preferable to meet your buyer in a public place to exchange your items for payment (cafe, parking in a shopping area, etc.). For furniture and other heavy items that are difficult to move, the buyer will more than likely come to your home to pick up the items. Make sure you hold the meeting during the day and make sure you are not home alone.
If possible, move the furniture to your garage or driveway so
that you won’t have strangers coming into your house to view the items. When making contact with buyers make sure you have their full name and a contact number.
Sell items on craigslist Tampa
9 The best and safest way to sell items on Craigslist Tampa is to post it locally. The site allows you to choose a region / zone where your message will be displayed. Choose your city or a close one. It is better to deal with buyers who are local rather than someone who has pushed for over an hour or more to meet with you.
If the deal turns sour or something bad happens,
at least you’ll know the buyer is in the same place as you.
Deal in cash (personal or professional)
10 Always deal in cash.
Remember, these are strangers so while you want to give people the benefit of the doubt
your worries will all be eliminated if you are only dealing with buyers willing to pay in cash. No checks (personal or professional) and certainly avoid organizing an online payment method.
Keep it simple. With your item sold and money in your hand, you will have nothing to worry about.
11 Craigslist posts in the “For Sale” section expire after 30 days, so don’t worry if no one is responding to your posts. You might have to lower your price, post better photos, or rewrite your ad.
Or you can post earlier than 30 days,
but beware of posting more since users can “flag” your posts which will delete it.
Ultimately, if no one at all has expressed interest in your articles then
chalk it up as a lost cause and donate your articles to Goodwill.
Tips and Warnings for How To Successfully Sell Items On Tampa Craigslist
- The headline is the first thing buyers see when they go to the “For Sale” section of Craigslist. Write a strong headline to grab their attention. Use keywords like “affordable,” “inexpensive,” “Brand New-never been used,” and other similar catch phrases (but don’t use those words if they’re not true).
- Never look for a buyer if you have other people interested. If you are interested in starting from more than one person, check with each person to see who can offer the best deal. If a buyer wants to buy your items, but keeps delaying your meeting or seems flaky, move on. Chances are someone else will be able to pay for and pick up your items right away.
- When taking pictures of furniture be sure to indicate what condition it is in. Be honest. Mention if there are any cracks, scratches or water damage. And the price accordingly. No buyer is going to spend a ton of money on an item that is has been damaged.
- If you are not sure how to price your items, do some research online and see what brand new items are going for. Then use your best judgment, but remember, people come to Craigslist looking for a good deal. If they wanted to pay full price for something, they could have gone to the store.
- After posting your ad, you will receive an email notification from Craigslist.
- You can use the links to see what your ad looks like in real time, make changes, or delete your comment.
- It is best to remove your ad after you have sold your item this way you won’t have to deal with emailing buyers who are too late.
- Don’t get hung up on the prices. Negotiation is a part of the process of selling items on Craigslist. Learn to negotiate. Insisting on keeping a high asking price is a quick way to blow buyers away from your position.
- When meeting with a potential buyer, make sure that you tell a family member or friend where you will be at, the name of the person you are meeting with, or – better yet – ask someone from come with you.
- It is generally better to speak with your potential buyer over the phone rather than relying solely on email. You tend to get the “vibes” off of a person once you talk to him / her on the phone. Take note of their tone of voice or personality.
- If he / she seems nervous, says strange things, or just gives you that “creepy” feeling,
- chances are you won’t want to meet that person face-to-face.
- Use your best judgment in this case.